Friday, November 14, 2008

I was floored....

I have two language teachers. I have them each for six hours a week, a total of five days a week. Monday thru Friday.

Today, my Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday teacher started out our time with conversation. We were working on using the conditional tense (as in "I would...if..." etc.) and she asked me three questions. The first question was what would I do if I were president for a day. The second question she asked me was what would I do if I were a man for a day (to which I replied I really don't want to be a man for a day, but I would probably go play Soccer or something...).

The last question was a blessing that was dropped in my lap by the Father. She asked me what I would do if I knew that today was the last day of the world. First I was speechless...convicted to the bone. To my knowledge, she is not a believer. My answer was that I would make sure that everyone around me knew that knowing their eternal destiny is very important and that I would do my best to tell everyone how they can know their eternal destiny. She then proceeded to ask me if I knew my eternal destiny and of course I said yes. She asked me what it was and I told her that I know that I will be spending eternity with Jesus in Heaven.

As these questions kept coming, I was more and more blown away. But that was not all. She asked me what my beliefs were and how I knew for sure that I was going to spend eternity in Heaven with Jesus. In broken Romanian, with some words that I did not know in Romanian, basically I was able to tell her that I believe that Jesus died for my sins because that is the only way that humanity's relationship with Christ could be restored because of the sin that Adam and Eve committed in the Garden of Eden.

On one hand, I feel like I blew it because if it had been in English or Spanish it would have been so natural and easy for me to explain this to her. But since this really was conversation practice I wasn't able to explain to her the full extent of it. I was praying the whole time, though, that the Holy Spirit would give me the words that I needed to get the point across.

After this, she proceeded to ask me what some of the fundamental beliefs of "Baptists" and what was the difference between Protestants and Catholics...in stead, I told her the fundamentals of Protestants (we read the Bible for ourselves and don't need a priest, we pray in Jesus' name directly to the Father and not through saints, we are saved by grace through faith lest any man should boast, we don't venerate the Virgin Mary, we don't pray to saints, we don't believe that Saints can do miracles, we don't pray for the dead, we don't believe in Purgatory, etc.)

As I spoke, she wrote down words for me that I didn't know how to say in Romanian that I guess she knows that I need to know how to say if I am to share the Gospel.

For me, this was huge. It's like she asked for it. And I didn't give a full out Gospel presentation because my Romanian isn't good enough for that. I just answered her questions. I told her that God works in my life and that I read and obey His word, the Bible. I told her that Jesus has changed my life and that He lives inside me...and that I know for sure that I will be spending eternity with Jesus.

Please go to the Father with me and pray for my sweet language teacher. Her name is Oana and I don't know that she is a believer, or even if she is religious at all. Please pray that I will have more opportunities to share with her about my faith, that I have hope in Christ and Joy in Him and don't simply follow a list of rules. And please praise Him with me for this incredible opportunity...

1 comment:

James said...

Hi,

My name is James. I found your blog in the Facebook groups a few weeks ago and have been reading about your adventure in Romania from about the time you arrived there. I have been praying for you and the work that God desires to do both in and through you.

Thank you for your posts – I appreciate your transparency as you work through this very big, exiting, and new time in your life. I will continue to pray that God has His way in you, that He captures your heart in a new and fresh way, that He gives you a vision of Himself that consumes you, and that you are able to lay aside any and all hindrances in your life for the sake of knowing Christ, and that our Father would pour out his Spirit on you to overflowing, that you may reflect His Glory in the dark place He has brought you to.

I also will pray for Oana and look forward to hearing reports of God’s hand in her life.

God bless you,
James