Thursday, November 27, 2008

Happy Thanksgiving

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone! I hope you all had the opportunity to spend time with your family or loved ones, and were able to make new memories. Some of my favorite childhood memories are from Thanksgivings past, and I treasure them like none other. This has been my first Thanksgiving away from my family...mom, dad, brother, aunts, uncles, and grandparents. But I was able to make new memories this year, and I'm so thankful for that opportunity.

I had dinner with a family that I work with and a man who also works for our mission, whose wife is in the States being treated for some back problems she has been having. After a delicious Thanksgiving Dinner, in which I am proud to say I did not over-stuff myself (!!!) and some Pumpkin Pie and coffee, the family and I went with another family to the Ballet to see The Nutcracker. It was just beautiful. The only recollection I have of ever having previously seen The Nutcracker, was on video at my grandparents house when they lived in Honduras, and I was not yet old enough to appreciate the fine arts. I preferred to watch "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" several times a day for two weeks in the Summer than to watch a long video that only contained dancing and classical music. If I had only known what I was missing..... But I'm so glad that I had the opportunity to experience it now as an adult, and at a live performance in a place where it is a cultural event to go to Ballet and Opera performances. I might as well be in Heaven, because I have grown to love the Theatre.

And yes, I spelled that t-h-e-a-t-r-e.

Anyhow, I got told to put my camera away shortly after the first act started, so this is the best I got...



On another note, I wanted to mention a few things for which I am thankful this year...
-a very, very supportive and loving immediate and extended family
-my calling, though it's difficult at times
-a sweet group of girls that I got to share my life with during College, and who I still get to talk to on a regular basis
-an amazing mission family in Guatemala, Nicaragua (and other places in Central America) who I consider to be aunts, uncles, and cousins
-a new mission family here in Romania and across Europe
-the comfort in knowing that He is in control of all things, and as so many have heard me say in the past, in the end, "it'll be o.k."
-this might be silly that I don't ever listen to Christmas music until after Thanksgiving, but I'm thankful that tomorrow I can listen to Christmas music
-for the opportunity to make new memories during this Holiday Season, though it will be tough being away from family for the first time
-knowing that He will never let me down, and that He is all I need
-for the reason that I'm in Romania...the calling He has placed on my life and that I have no other choice but to obey
-and last but certainly not least, I'm thankful for the reason we celebrate the upcoming months, and that's Jesus Christ and the Salvation that we are offered because of His ultimate act of obedience that we might spend Eternity with Him.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

Happy Thanksgiving, dear one! We love you!