Wednesday, October 29, 2008

It's Wednesday...

And I've almost been here 2 full weeks.

Language is going as well as it could be, I feel like I'm progressing in class, however I lack the courage to walk up to someone and ask them if I can practice with them. My goal by the end of next week is to have found 3 or 4 people that I can practice with on a daily basis. I have in mind a few people/places I can stop at between my apartment and the metro station, so we'll see. Please ask that I would have the courage to do this. This is very hard for me, a perfectionist, knowing that I will make mistakes, being the one that people came to for proofing grammar on papers in both English and Spanish for several years.

On Friday afternoon last week I had a doctor's appointment for a physical. Basically it is a requirement for my visa, just to prove that I'm not a risk to the public healthcare system. So in stead of coming straight home from language, I got off at one of the metro stops where there is a McDonald's inside the stop. I managed to order a "Menoul McChicken cu Coca Cola." The place was so crowded, so I found a table that was not taken, but it shared a booth seat with another table that was taken by two college boys. When I recounted this experience to someone, she told me it is perfectly normal to share tables in fast food restaurants here in Romania. Whew.

Well that's not all. The two college boys got up and left about half-way through my meal, and then their spots were taken by two college girls and a guy. They ate their food as I ate mine, and when I was finished with my meal I got up to leave. Well, my tray apparently wasn't securely on the table, and my bag knocked it and somehow catapulted my McChicken box into the air and onto the bench next to the Romanian girl! I was so embarrassed!! She just kindof waved her hand at me and I think said it was ok and handed me the box. I hightailed it out of there and didn't even check to see if anyone was laughing. I doubt it, though...more to come on that.

This weekend I had quite an adventure. Saturday morning the family that lives closest to me came over to put together the dulap (wardrobe) for my bedroom. This way I could get my clothes out of my suitcases and where they belong! That afternoon, they took me to a big store called Metro (it's like Sam's or Costco in the States and like PriceSmart in Guate). I was able to find a printer/scanner/copier for a good price so that I can print, scan and copy things, mostly for work purposes. Then, they took me to a really fancy mall where I was able to buy an internet router (which I have yet gotten to work...). We walked around a little bit and ultimately ate dinner in the food court at Burger King. Yes, I'm embarrassed to say that the only 2 times I have eaten out so far have been in American Fast Food restaurants (which 100% of the time are better in 3rd world countries than they are in the States...).

Sunday I went to church. I had been told what metro stop to get off at and how to get there, so I felt like I could do it. Well...I got off at the right metro stop, but THERE WERE 4 EXITS!!!! Well, from the train, there were two ways to go. Had I gone the way I didn't go, I would have been fine. However, I went out an exit that had 3 exits. Does that make sense? Basically, it was an exit that was also an under ground cross-walk. I tried going under and eventually came out of all 3 of the exits, but still couldn't figure out which direction to go. So I called someone and they told me how to get there....

When I finally got to church, I was so relieved. I thought to myself that I could finally just listen and concentrate on trying to pick up some of the sermon. YEAH RIGHT. The guy that preached was a Romanian who was visiting from New York, and he preached a 40 minute sermon in 20 minutes. I didn't even try. I met some nice people, other GCCs here in town that I hope to get to know while I'm here.

Monday I had 3 hours of language class and it was fine.

On Tuesday (yesterday), I had a short class and I got out at 3:30. So I decided to get out at the same metro stop that I got off at on Sunday and do some exploring. It is in the middle of the city, and there are some really pretty buildings around there. I had planned on doing this already, so I took my camera with me. I'll post pictures later. Well from that metro stop, I walked and walked down a street, and found myself at another metro stop (the one that has McDonald's in it). On the way, I passed 3 Orthodox churches and 1 Catholic church. They were having 4:00 mass in the Orthodox churches, but I didn't go inside. Maybe one of these days I will venture in and sit in on one.

I found myself at a mall that is attached to a grocery store (much like Paiz in Guatemala, or that could be compared to a very minimal version of Wal-Mart). It is a French store that's apparently all over Europe. I didn't have much cash with me, but I decided to pick up some carrots and apples. When I got in line and was being rung up, the girl behind the counter asked me something. I'm almost positive it had to do with having my produce weighed. I got flustered because I had no indication that I needed to have it weighed, especially since in the store close to my apartment they weigh it at the check-out (but it's a different chain). Also, the girl didn't seem very polite at all, so just walked off without anything.

Yesterday I also discovered something that I might regret for the rest of my time here. Everywhere, there are these little Patisseries called Fornetti. I have been curious about the breads they sell, and there is always a line at the one inside one of the metro stations. So yesterday on my way home, I decided to get in line and give a shot in the dark to these pastries. I shouldn't have. Consider me hooked. The item I ordered was fresh out of the oven. Warm, melt in your mouth. What I bought was a little strudel that had cheese in it. It. Was. Delicious. There's no turning back.

So today I found another one of these little stands and tried something else. Bad idea. I'm hooked. More than hooked. Addicted.

That's all.

4 comments:

Amanda said...

Living in another country is so humbling! I would have been crying in the metro stop. I'm so glad you found a nice place to get some treats.

Jenn's Blog said...

Angela you're so brave! I would have been in tears at the thought of being lost and in a country where I barely know any of the language. It reminded me of the first time I went to visit you in Dallas and got lost. That's where the similarity stops though because, unlike your situation I was only 3 hours away from getting home and I knew how to get back and everyone spoke English so I had no problems there.
Anyway, I just wanted to let you know that I've really been enjoying your blogs so far. They are funny and make me feel like I'm listening to you on the phone...you write almost just like you talk. :) I love you and I'm praying for you!

elise said...

Was the French grocery store you went to called "Carre Four"??
I ask bc my parents went to those in Italy, and yes, you have to weigh all of your produce before you check out...they experienced the confusion as well. You're not alone.
I'm so proud of you :) I would have ended up sitting on a bench in the metro station until someone found me. I'm loving the blogs! Love you! Praying for you!

Pache said...

Hello,
Elise, as a matter of fact it was a Carrefour. And usually you have to weight all your products in all romanian hypermarkets (Carrefour, Cora, Real, Billa, etc.) if they aren't prepacked and with a price tag attached.
Angela, if you need some romanian conversation practice just give me a sign and maybe I can help you with that. Or in any other issues regarding romanian culture, Bucharest or else...
Have a great day!