Saturday, March 20, 2010

Several Thoughts....

In January I got an e-mail from Paulette Carson of Beautiful Gate Translations, wanting to meet and talk about potential opportunities for her ministry in Romania. I met with her and some other ladies and had a great time. A little while later, I went to Houston to meet with her and a gentleman who has a ministry to addicts, with whom she is hoping to merge ministries. Paulette and I also met with the Jones, my former college ministers and some of my favorite people on the face of the planet. I didn't, and still don't know why I went to Houston (besides the fact that I had never been there and I wanted to meet the addiction ministry man AND spend some time with Curtis and Amanda). The Lord knows, though. It was a good time.

While in Houston, I got to spend some quality time with the Jones. I don't think I have told y'all how much I enjoyed staying with you guys and how much fun I had. Curtis and Amanda graciously listened to my story of what I had experienced in Romania and made me feel so special with their verbal affirmation and the time that they gave to spend with me. They invested a lot of time in me while they were in Irving, and they are super wonderful people. (This means HUGE things to me since my main love language is quality time).

I was invited to stay with them on Saturday night and go to church with them on Sunday. As soon as we walked in the door from dinner on Saturday evening, it seems a switch went off and they snapped in to action...their 4 year old Jackson and 1 year old Annabeth were in bed within 10 minutes. I was amazed at their awesome parenting teamwork skills. They patiently listened to me recount much of my time in Romania, and I believe it was the first time I had gone through that story without shedding more than just a few tears. I am so humbled that they felt so badly on my behalf, and also that they shared with me a time that they had a similarly trying experience. That Sunday, I went to service with them and their Sunday School class. I had always wanted to visit the church from which many people at my church in Irving have come. I wasn't surprised when they tried to talk me in to moving to Houston, because it had happened before, and I would even do it if I had a job down there.

Needless to say, thank-you, Amanda and Curtis for opening your home to me...it was a special time.

More recently, I have been continuing to grow and heal and be more active in the job search for a teaching position in the DFW area. I have loved reconnecting with my class at church and continuing to make new friends. Starbucks is alright, it's a job with benefits and that's about it. I have to remind myself that my co-workers are just as lost as the throngs of people I walked through at Piata Victoriei in Bucharest at rush hour, and that they need Jesus just as bad.

Lastly, I had the privilege of babysitting my sweet niece yesterday evening for a few hours while her dad and mom went on a date. As I was feeding her, a few bites in to her spaghetti, she looked at me, folded her hands, bowed her head, and said, "pray." So we prayed. This happened about five or six more times, and even though I thought it was cute and funny, we didn't run out of things to pray about. I took the opportunity to pray for her salvation one day, that God would draw her close to Himself as he is even today, and that she would grow up to be a warrior woman who loves Him more than anything. Her 18-month old mind doesn't understand these things yet, but even still, I was so amazed at how sweet she is...not just that, but I was more proud of her parents for her persistence to pray than I was of her....They certainly are teaching her the way she should go.....

1 comment:

Amanda said...

Well this was a sweet treat to read tonight. We loved spending time with you that weekend!